Things I've Learned as a "Small Blogger"

Things I've Learned as a "Small Blogger"

Hey guys! Today I thought I would lay on my couch & do a formal blog post since I want to get back into my blogging game. Today's topic is going to be all about the things I've learned as a "Small Blogger". I have been blogging since 2017 & have grown my platform to content creating on Instagram, Twitter, Tik Tok, etc. Over the years, I've learned a lot about the blogging industry & if y'all have followed this blog for a while, this has been my experimental platform as far as content goes. I hope y'all enjoy today's post & let me know if you are a small blogger what you have learned over the years! 

1. Stay True to Your Brand & Passions:

I use the word, "Small Blogger" or "Small Influencer" way more often than I would have a few years ago. The day I stopped caring about how many likes & views my content got was the day I stopped having creative block & I have made some of my best content yet. Truthfully, people come on blogs for fashion/beauty inspiration, but I was starting to have so much joy doing my music/award show content which wasn't going to necessarily reach a traditional blogging audience. That's when I turned to podcasting. I learned by taking that extra leap of faith that Podcasting was my main creative outlet & I was overall way more confident in my content.

I was in such a routine of blogging that whenever I did start my podcast, I didn't want to let go of blogging to focus on that, but I knew to get my creative juices flowing, I had to do that & it was the best decision I could have ever made. I learned that my content can be great on other platforms other than blogging. 

2. Quality Over Quantity:

In my first year of blogging, I wish someone had told me about this. I used to post like 5 times a day (a lot of blog posts have been deleted just because a ton of those posts were little links that were junking up the blog). I think I had the toughest time with this in the beginning of my blogging days because I went from being "local viral" on Twitter in high school & tweeting constantly to keep my engagement going to blogging where people typically post a few times a week. It was a huge adjustment for me!

After 2 years of blogging, I kind of backed off & really took time with my posts & put a ton of effort into them. I saw better results in my analytics & overall, I was less stressed out! 

3. It's Okay to Change Your Interests in Topics You Post About:

I feel like this is way more normalized now than what it was whenever I first started blogging. I'm the type of person that likes to talk about all different types of things & hyper fixating on one topic in the beginning of my blogging days truly drove me INSANE & it caused me to make inauthentic content & posts.

4. Content Creating is Not as Easy as it Seems:

I have done content creating as part of my job & outside of my job & let me tell y'all, I will laugh in your face if you think content creating is easy. It's more than just posting content. There's a lot that goes into every post that I do on all platforms & I think that's what people don't realize. I wish someone had told me in the beginning of my blogging days that doing research is SO VITAL! 

There's a huge difference between researching creators similar to you & straight up copying them! Of course, I have influencers & creators that I look up to & inspire me to make my own content which it's super important as a creator that you have that but if you are just copying & pasting other people's content, it seems super inauthentic & loses the point of being a, "influencer". 

I always told myself that I would rather go viral over original content that I'm proud of & makes me stand out as my own individual than just doing what everyone else does.

5. Burnout from Your Passions & Hobbies is REAL:

I love creating content & it truly is my passion, but I have experienced real burnout with it. I wished someone had told me this years ago. I also think this has become more normalized in creators lately which I'm very much here for. Every day, you see creators taking mental health breaks to get back their creative juices & experience burnout from its & I'm here to tell you if you are just starting to do this that it's SO REAL & SO NORMAL to feel that way! 


Let me know if y'all learned anything from this post!



Comments